Village of Philmont

Shawn Jennings, Historian
Phone: 518-965-1015 (after 4:30 or on weekends)

The community was once known as "Factory Hill" due to the number of wool factories. The village was incorporated in 1891. It derives its name from George P. Philip, who built a 36-acre (15 ha) reservoir to provide water for his mill. This in turn led to construction of a 56-acre (23 ha) reservoir up the "mountain" in the Taconic Mountains to guarantee water to the mills, thus creating the factory hill.