Town of Canaan


Doris Gearing, Town Historian
Phone: (518)392-5704
Email:
historian@canaannewyork.org
dodiegearing49@gmail.com

Canaan, New York, was founded by setters from Canaan, Connecticut in 1759. The town was founded in 1772 as "Kings District". The name was changed to "Canaan" in 1788. One of the oldest sections of Canaan is Frisbie Street, settled in 1770 by Gideon Frisbie, who emigrated from Canaan, Connecticut. Frisbie Street fronts what was once the Albany-Boston stagecoach route.


The Lace House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

Brigadier General Todd Traver
was guest speaker.

Town of Canaan Memorial Day Celebration

Stoddard Field Memorial Day Event and Parade