Town of Ghent
The Town of Ghent was incorporated on April 3, 1818. Before that, it was locally known as "Squampamock" and Kline Kill. Squampamock is a Native American term signifying "the meeting of the waters."
Around 1735, early settlers, exploiting areas cleared by the natives, moved into the area. In 1818, the town of Ghent was founded from parts of the towns of Chatham, Claverack, and Kinderhook. The name has its origin in the Flemish city Ghent, in Flanders, Belgium.
100th Anniversary of the Ghent Fire Department
Chatham's Time Keeper
Ghent Railroad Station
In Search of Ghent's One-Room Schoolhouses
Ghent Chatham Line
Meeting House Marker
Ghent's First Town Hall
Ghent's Famous Elephant Farm